I love yoga however sometimes when I see a Groupon or coupon for a certain type I generally have to Google to figure out what it’s all about. Here is a helpful list that I found from www.mindbodygreen.com. I hope you find it as helpful as I did! Enjoy!
Vinyasa Yoga – Commonly called “Vinyasa flow” or just “flow”, you’ll definitely be moving, flowing from one pose to the next. Other than starting with a sun salutation, no two classes will be alike. It’s the most popular style of yoga in America. More>>
Kundalini Yoga – “Kundalini” refers to the energy of the Root Chakra, which surrounds the area around your lower spine. Expect lots of work in your “core” area and classes are known to be pretty intense. More>>
Iyengar Yoga – Expect lots of props with this type of yoga such as blocks, harnesses, straps, and even cushions. There’s also a lot of focus on alignment so Iyengar can be great for physical therapy. More>>
Anusara Yoga – Founded in 1997 by John Friend, Anusara is epitomized by “the celebration of the heart. Expect many “heart-opening” poses like backbends and more talking by the instructor in class. More>>
Jivamukti Yoga – Jivamukti is mostly practiced in NYC as it was founded there in 1984 by Sharon Gannon and David Life. It’s a mix of vinyasa flow sequencing infused with chanting and a vegetarian twist. More>>
Prenatal Yoga – If you’re an expectant mother then Prenatal yoga is probably for you. (Sorry, guys!) Some say that Prenatal is one of the best types of exercise for moms-to-be as there’s a lot of core work and a focus on breathing. More>>
Have you found a type of yoga that might be a fit for you? Before you head to class, check out our Yoga Poses for Beginners library to become familiar with some of the most common poses.
*If you have a question or would like to submit a topic please email me at email@example.com
- challenging our assumptions (or, why I take back all the mean things I said about power yoga) (lilasana.com)
- 5 Different Types of Yoga – Which One Suits You the Best? (dailycupofyoga.com)
- Types of Yoga Practice: Which is Right for You? (sheerbalance.com)
- Yoga: Is it Enough for a Workout? (einmotion.wordpress.com)
- Myths About Yoga (and Why They Should Not Stop You from Starting Yoga) (untrainedhousewife.com)
- Overcoming My Yoga Phobia (news.health.com)
- Yoga Benefits for Mental Health (rachelmiller1511.wordpress.com)